The history of Ijebu-Ode Diocese which was created on the 29th May, 1969, with Bishop Anthony Sanusi as its first Bishop, dates back to 1864 when Rev. Fr. Francis Borghero SMA celebrated the first Holy Mass in Itasin-Imobi. The Diocese was excised from Lagos Archdiocese and is now one of the two suffragan Dioceses of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Lagos. It was the Society of African Mission (SMA) Fathers, (the French, the German, the Dutch and the Irish) who started primary Evangelisation. Other Missionary groups are – the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (CICM), the Holy Ghost Congregation (CSSP), the Missionary Society of St. Paul (MSP), the Claretians (CMF), the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate (FI), the Society of St. Joseph – the Josephites (SSJ), the Vincentians (CM) and the Vocationists (SDV), who periodically joined in the Church’s missionary activities.
That parents and teachers may help the new generations to grow up with a upright conscience and a consistent life.
That the particular Churches of the African continent, faithful to the Gospel proclamation, may promote the building of peace and justice.